Beetroot is a well known red colored root vegetable which is also considered as super-food these days. It is packed with many nutrients and has numerous health benefits. Beets also have some risk factors or side-effects associated with their over-consumption. Beetroot also has leaves on top, known as beet greens, are edible and beneficial for our body.
Beet greens: They have zero fat and zero cholesterol which makes it a very healthy food choice. It also has vitamin K, copper, manganese, iron and calcium which makes it even healthier.
Top 7 incredible Health benefits of beetroot:
- Lowers the blood pressure: Beetroot is very well known for its blood pressure lowering effect. It is very beneficial for people who have high blood pressure due to its nitrate content which ultimately gets converted into nitric oxide in our body. This leads to the relaxation and dilation of blood vessels which facilitates the easy flow of blood, resulting in low blood pressure.
- Healthy heart: Hypertension is a primary risk factor of cardiovascular diseases. Consumption of beets has the potential to lower down the blood pressure and hence may prevent heart-related complications.
- Haemoglobin Levels: Beetroot is one of the best and easiest ways to elevate haemoglobin levels in the blood. It has the high iron content along-with the folic acid and potassium. If you are suffering from anemia then beets are the right choice for you. Drink beetroot juice regularly for healthy blood count.
- Athletic performance: Having beets improves cardiac endurance and athletic performance. Food that contains nitrates are good for improving stamina during exercises.
- Cancer prevention: Beetroot contains a compound known as betalains which are responsible for its red color. It is a very good antioxidant and can prevent cancer.
- Digestive health: Beets have high fiber content which is very beneficial in digestive issues. Fiber adds bulk to the stools and helps in taking out toxins from your body. Fiber is also good for those who want to reduce weight.
- Hair growth and maintenance: Beetroot boosts the blood circulation all over the scalp which helps in stimulating hair follicles and promotes healthy hair growth. Beets also have the potential to clear the dead cells and dandruff by applying its paste on the scalp. This also helps with the scalp itching.
- Renal stones: The major issue with the excessive intake of beets is the renal stones as they are very rich in oxalate. A high intake of oxalate may lead to the formation of stones.
- Rise in sugar level: People who have diabetes should take beets in a limit. If taken in excess it might cause a problem. Beetroot has a medium glycemic index ( GI score 61). It is okay to take it sometimes in lesser quantities.
- Low B.P patients: People who always have low blood pressure should consume beets only after taking advice from their doctor.
Recipes with beetroot: Beetroot pulao/rice, Beetroot peanut chutney/dip, beet greens veg, beetroot raita/yogurt, beetroot roti/paratha/bread