Tulsi (holy basil) is a well known beneficial herb and has been used in ayurvedic remedies to cure many diseases since ancient times. Every part of this plant is considered to have medicinal value in ayurveda. Tulsi has antibacterial, anti-fungal, antibiotic, antioxidant and anti-stress properties which makes it a wonderful natural medicine for curing and preventing a lot of common and complex disorders associated with the human body. In India, tulsi is also considered as a sacred plant and people usually worship this plant. This is because of the magical and unbelievable properties that distinguish it from any other ordinary plant.
Health benefits of tulsi:
- Skin and hair problems: Tulsi has a wonderful impact on skin and hair. It is known to have blood purifying property due to which it aids in clear and glowing skin. Its paste can be applied directly to your face to make it acne-free and clean. You can also apply its paste onto your scalp for the healthy growth of your hair. If you massage your scalp with tulsi powder mixed with coconut oil, you will get long, lustrous and thick hair.
- Cold and mild fever: If tulsi leaves are thoroughly boiled with black pepper and a little bit of crystallized sugar lump, it makes a very good remedy for cold and mild fever. You can drink its decoction or you can also make its small candies. The decoction of tulsi and one more ayurvedic herb giloy has magical effects in treating fevers and also helps to grow dramatically the blood platelet count.
- Diabetes: Tulsi leaves also have hypoglycemic properties that lower down the blood sugar levels and helps in preventing complications related to diabetes. People who are taking medications for diabetes along-with the tulsi leaves daily have a significantly positive impact on blood sugar levels but you should always ask your doctor before taking any herb or herbal remedy with any medication.
- Smoking: Tulsi leaves are very beneficial for those who wanted to quit smoking. If anyone feels the urge to smoke, he should chew some leaves of tulsi. It will not only reduces the urge but also heal your body from the previous damage due to smoking.
- Diarrhea: Tulsi leaves are very effective in the problem of diarrhea also. Tulsi leaves should be grounded with cumin seeds and a little of this mixture should be taken 3 to 4 times a day.
- Headaches: If somebody has a frequent problem of headache then its better to drink a decoction of tulsi leaves instead of medicines which has side effects in our body if taken for a longer duration.
- Wounds: Tulsi has antibacterial effects due to which it helps in avoiding wound to fester. Tulsi leaves should be mixed with potash alum and directly be applied on the wound for quick healing.
- Stress: We all have a sedentary lifestyle and fast-paced life these days. Every second person has some kind of stress and the worst part is that only a few of them have an idea that they are stressed. If we chew 10-12 tulsi leaves twice a day regularly, it helps us in relieving stress.
- Bronchitis and cough: The decoction of tulsi leaves, fresh ginger, Black pepper with a little bit of added honey is helpful in bronchitis and cough.
- Cancer: Tulsi has antioxidant properties due to which it helps in preventing cancer. We should take tulsi leaves in any form at least once a day to avoid this disease.