The mouth is the body’s initial point of contact with the nutrients. So what we put in our mouth impacts not only our general health but also that of our teeth and gums. A poor diet can lead to gum disease and tooth decay. Foods high in carbohydrates, sugars and starches greatly contribute to the production of plaque acids that attack the tooth enamel. Eventually, these acids can cause tooth enamel to break down, forming a cavity. Try to eat them during meals, rather than between meals, and avoid any foods that stick to our teeth, because these can produce more plaque. Saliva production rises during meals, which can help rinse food and acids from the mouth. Fruits and vegetables are good choices for a healthy smile since they are high in water and fiber, which balance the sugars they contain and help to clean the teeth.
Top 7 best foods for your teeth:
- Apples: Apples contain a small amount of fluoride which is a very important mineral for preventing cavities. They are also packed with many other vitamins and minerals which keeps your gums healthy. Furthermore, chewing an apple stimulates saliva production which further helps to get rid of food debris and bacteria to some extent.
- Strawberries: Strawberries are very useful in keeping your enamel white. They contain malic acid which is a natural tooth whitener. Strawberries can keep your teeth stain-free and white but be careful with the little black seeds which sometimes stuck between teeth. Always clean them after having strawberries.
- Raw onions: They contain sulphur containing antibacterial compounds. Eating raw onion in the salad can help in getting rid of harmful bacteria from teeth.
- Dairy products: The dairy products have calcium and phosphates which are considered as good minerals for teeth. They also help in the rebuilding of tooth enamel. Cheese is also a very well known saliva maker and saliva production lowers down the chances of the cavity.
- Sugarless chewing gum: It is also a great saliva maker and helps with the removal of food particles that got stuck in your mouth.
- Cloves: Cloves have a compound known as eugenol which is antiseptic and acts as an analgesic agent (pain killer). It not only helps in controlling toothache but also balances the bacterial growth in the mouth by killing the harmful bacteria and keeping the beneficial micro-organisms.
- Raw carrot: They contain vitamin A and keratin which is very important for strengthening the tooth enamel. It is a very healthy choice as an in-between meal snack.
5 simple ways to avoid cavity
- Brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes to remove sugars and food particles
- Keep one clove in between your upper and lower molar tooth and press it for some time at least once a week
- Limit between-meal snacking.
- Keep added sugar in the diet to a minimum by choosing wise food and beverages.
- Include plenty of fruits and vegetables in your diet and drink a desirable amount of water throughout the day.
- It is a good idea to have one apple slice after a meal and one piece of carrot as in-between meal snacks.